In response to a request from the Kirkwood Meadows Association, the District began providing a central, well maintained facility for the collection of solid waste in the early 1990’s. This facility is located adjacent to the Wastewater Treatment Plant. The District took an aggressive approach to this management by ensuring that only full dumpsters are tipped, and that the dumpsters are protected from bears and other wildlife by locking them with wildlife clips.
Over time, other homeowner associations joined the solid waste program, and the District has since made a variety of improvements, such as providing additional locations and trash chute services to condominiums.
The District has been able to complete the purchase of all its dumpsters, some of which were rented from ACES Waste Services (ACES), thereby eliminating the dumpster rental charge.
Hazardous Waste Disposal:
Hazardous waste is accepted at the South Tahoe Refuse Transfer Station, 2140 Ruth Avenue, South Lake Tahoe. Available to all California residents, drop-offs are accepted Tuesdays and Saturdays only, from 9:00am to Noon and 1:00pm to 4:00pm. For more information, call 530-542-8368.
Dispose of barbecue and fireplace ashes in the container near the Aces dumpsters on Loop Road marked “Ashes Only”. Do not dump them on your property!
Solid Waste Recycling Update
Together with ACES, the District promotes the collection of recyclable materials in the Valley to help comply with the current State mandate of 50% of all waste to be recycled, and to prepare for a law that requires California to divert (recycle) 75% of its waste by January 1, 2020. The District provides three blue recycling bins that are located at the main disposal site, next to the Wastewater Treatment Plant on Loop Road.
The District offers orange recycling bags to community members free of charge. The use of these bags help identify recyclables in the waste stream. Orange bags are available to pick up during normal business hours at the Community Services Building. Place recyclables in the orange bags and discard with your regular garbage or in the designated blue recycle bins next to the Wastewater Treatment Plant. Recyclable items are sorted at the ACES Waste Transfer Station in Ione, CA.
Acceptable Recycling Items:
- Aluminum cans, clean foil and containers
- Clean cardboard (flatten boxes or cut to 2’x2’ squares)
- Glass bottles, jars and containers (remove lids)
- Clean paper, bags catalogs, cereal, cracker or shoe boxes, computer paper, construction paper, paper egg cartons, envelopes, junk mail, magazines, telephone books, white paper
- Plastic bottles, jugs and jars
- Tin and steel cans
Unacceptable Recycling Items:
- Hazardous waste (antifreeze, motor oil, paint, etc.)
- Construction debris
- Dirty aluminum foil
- Pizza boxes
- Mirrors, light bulbs, drinking glasses, Pyrex, dishes, safety or auto glass
- Food or moisture contaminated paper such as paper plates, cups, napkins, paper towels or tissues
- Styrofoam cups, waxed milk cartons, food trays packaging or packing materials
- Plastic bags, plastic wrap, hoses, toys, plastic plates, cups or straws
Thanks for supporting this effort and if you should have any questions, please contact the District at 209-258-4444.